Kevin has worked with innovative technology for more than 25 years and in healthcare, research and life sciences for much of that time. Kevin also has experience with large organisations implementing complex information technology in the automotive, high technology and energy sectors.
For 14 years he led Cisco’s innovation team focused on healthcare and life sciences. In that role he worked on eHealth strategy and implementation with policy makers, care providers, payer organizations and technology partners at local, regional and national levels in health systems – in the UK and across Europe. Kevin managed a team working globally including with the WHO and European Commission, as well as in China, the USA and Africa.
Kevin has advised and supported a large range of NHS bodies on their use of information, innovation and information technology, including the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) from its inception, NICE, and the Department of Health.
In November 2013 the Health Services Journal (HSJ) named Kevin as one of the top 50 innovators in healthcare.
In August 2013, Kevin was invited to join the Board of Genomics England Limited, a subsidiary of the UK Department of Health, that is delivering the 100k Genome Project announced by the UK Prime Minister. For GeL, Kevin is also the Chair of the Data Advisory Committee and a member of the Audit Committee.
Kevin has extensive experience working outside the United Kingdom, working with his team on projects all over the world, including with the European Commission & World Health Organisation (WHO). Published in 2003 and with over 35,000 copies printed, Kevin edited the book “Connected Health”; a follow-up book, “The Health & Care Revolution“, edited with a colleague, Prof. Raj Muttukrishnan from City University, London, was published in mid-2011 by the European Alliance for Innovation (EAI).
Kevin is a Visiting Professor, Telehealth & Assistive Living, at the Maersk Moller McKinney Institute, University of South Denmark, and an Honorary Research Fellow at City University, London. He is a Fellow of BCS, The Chartered Institute of IT, where he has been a member of the Healthcare Policy & Strategy Board, and he is also a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Kevin is a frequent speaker at international conferences, on topics ranging from new healthcare models, health technology and managing innovation.
Bibliography (sample only):
- Contribution to UK Chief Medical Officer’s Annual Report, Volume 2 – Ch11 Horizon Scanning (March 2013)
- The Health and Care Revolution (ISBN 978-1-936968-02-2, 2011)
- eHealth 2008 – Connected Health, what does the future hold? (September 2008)
- 60 years of the NHS – Health of the future (St James House, July 2008)
- The Future of Healthcare is here (Management und Krankenhaus, Germany, June 2007)
- Healthcare and information, what next (Asian Hospital, May 2007)
- Sharing Clinical Histories (ICE Salut, Spain, October 2006)
- Creating Connected Health in Europe (European Hospital, 2005)
- Healthgrid – A Summary (Healthgrid Association, 2004)
- Connected Health (ISBN 0-9546445-0-6, 2003-2005, various reprints to 35000 copies)
Public Speaking (examples only):
- HIMMS Europe European Telemedicine Conference (Rome 2014) – Social Media in tele-health
- NHS East Midlands AHSN Conference (Nottingham 2014) – Genomic Data & Citizen-Driven Health
- CIMT Opening (Denmark 2014) – Chair for the Centre for Innovative Medical Technology inaugural event
- UNIK Conference (Copenhagen 2013) – Solving Healthcare’s Innovation Problems
- Hospital + Innovation (Odense, 2013) – Innovation in Health & Care
- NHS Innovation Expo (London 2013) – The Internet of Everything & its impact on Patient Experience
- COPD8 (Birmingham 2012) – Chronic disease – a technological response to the challenges
- Health4Informatics (Birmingham 2012) – Constantly inventing, seldom adopting – solving the NHS’ innovation problem
- World of Health IT (Copenhagen, 2012) – Adoption of eHealth
- Digital Health (Manchester, 2011) – Innovation in healthcare
- Medica (Dusseldorf, 2011) – eHealth Panel
- World of Health IT (Budapest, 2011) – Mobility in healthcare
- Fondation Concorde (Paris, 2011) – The Information Revolution
- NHS Innovation Expo (London, 2011) – The Information Revolution; The Health & Care Revolution
- Oslo Innovation Week (Oslo, 2010) – Healthcare 2030
- World of Health IT (Barcelona, 2010) – eHealth Market
- World Leaders in Medical Innovations (Wembley, 2009)
- Health Innovation Expo (London, 2009) – Telemedicine excellence
- NHS Wales “Care to Lead” – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- NICE National Conference (Manchester) 2008 – Using technology to drive change
- World of Health IT (Copenhagen), 2008 – Strategies and visions of eHealth leaders
- Centro di Ricerche e Studi in Management Sanitario (Milan) 2006 – From eHealth to Connected Health
- Royal Academy of Engineers (London) 2006 – Mobility in Healthcare
- International Society for Telemedicine & eHealth (Pune, India) 2006 – From eHealth to Connected Health
- World Healthcare Congress, (Paris) 2006 – Promoting and managing IT innovation
- EU Health Ministers Conference (Tromso, Norway) 2005 – Just Make Me Better
- Pasteur Institute (Paris) 2005 – Patient Engagement